After opting out of the race for elevation as a Supreme Court judge, former Solicitor General Gopal Subramanium has declined to act as the Special Public Prosecutor in the coal blocks allocation cases.
While Subramanium is out of the country, he is learnt to have communicated his inability to take up the role, citing prior engagements and a busy itinerary. Subramanium’s office confirmed this to The Sunday Express on Saturday, a day after a three-judge bench led by Chief Justice R M Lodha asked all the parties in the case to “persuade” him for the job.
“If you can convince him (Subramanium) to accept the role of special prosecutor, we will have no objection. You persuade him. If I failed in something, you (lawyers) can try to succeed,” the CJI said on Friday, while ordering a special court, on the lines of the one hearing the 2G cases, to be set up in Delhi for the coal blocks cases.
Its recommendation found favour with the petitioners’ advocate M L Sharma, as well as the counsel for the government and the CBI. Sharma later got in touch with Subramanium’s office, which communicated to him the senior advocate’s refusal.
Last month, Subramanium withdrew his consent for elevation as a Supreme Court judge, after the Centre “unilaterally segregated” him from a list of four names recommended by the SC collegium.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More