An 18-hour ‘curfew’ has been imposed by a students’ committee in Manipur today to prevent non-Manipuris from transacting business in the state, in protest against the recent attacks, rape and killing of the people of the north east in the national capital.
Convenor of the Joint Students’ Coordinating Committee (JSCC) Thangjam Premananda told newspersons that all non-Manipuri people in the state should close their shops, stop transacting business and remain indoors during the curfew which began from 5 A.M.
He said it was “very shocking” that people from the north-east region were “not only ill treated but looked down” in the national capital and blamed the central and Delhi government for their failure to protect people from the region.
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
- Hillary Clinton accuses Donald Trump of being Vladimir Putin’s ‘puppet’
- Senior UP Congress Leader Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP
- Missing JNU Student: VC Gives Ultimatum To Students Over ‘Illegal Confinement’
- US Presidential Debate: Donald Trump Calls Hillary Clinton ‘A Nasty Woman’
- Hasselblad True Zoom Mod Review
- Honor 8 First Look Video
- Apple Watch 2: Review, Price And Features
- Delhi HC Dismisses Kejriwal’s Plea For Stay In Criminal Defamation Case
- Gulzar Shares An Interesting Anecdote Behind The Lyrics of ‘Humne Dekhi Hai’ Song
- Diya Mirza Displays Her Painting Skills At An Art Festival In Mumbai
Stating that a series of agitations would be launched soon if proper measures were not taken to protect the people from the region, he said the death of Nido Taniam, a student from Arunachal Pradesh, rape of a Manipuri girl, assault on two Manipuri youths and two girls showed that mainland people have no respect for the people from this region.
Accusing MPs from the region and Manipur government for their “failure” to put maximum pressure on the central government, he said people in the region would not remain silent while their brothers and sisters were murdered or raped in the national capital.
JSCC has been formed by six major student bodies including All Manipur Students Union, Democratic Alliance of Students of Manipur and Manipuri Students Federation a few days ago.