An 18-hour ‘curfew’ has been imposed by a students’ committee in Manipur today to prevent non-Manipuris from transacting business in the state, in protest against the recent attacks, rape and killing of the people of the north east in the national capital.
Convenor of the Joint Students’ Coordinating Committee (JSCC) Thangjam Premananda told newspersons that all non-Manipuri people in the state should close their shops, stop transacting business and remain indoors during the curfew which began from 5 A.M.
He said it was “very shocking” that people from the north-east region were “not only ill treated but looked down” in the national capital and blamed the central and Delhi government for their failure to protect people from the region.
Stating that a series of agitations would be launched soon if proper measures were not taken to protect the people from the region, he said the death of Nido Taniam, a student from Arunachal Pradesh, rape of a Manipuri girl, assault on two Manipuri youths and two girls showed that mainland people have no respect for the people from this region.
Accusing MPs from the region and Manipur government for their “failure” to put maximum pressure on the central government, he said people in the region would not remain silent while their brothers and sisters were murdered or raped in the national capital.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
JSCC has been formed by six major student bodies including All Manipur Students Union, Democratic Alliance of Students of Manipur and Manipuri Students Federation a few days ago.