Government, on Wednesday, said the cadre strength of the Maoist organisations is around 8,500 and they have forged tactical understanding with some insurgent groups in the Northeast for procuring arms and ammunition.
“As per available reports, the estimated armed cadre strength of the Left Wing Extremist groups is around 8,500. However, their support base is in larger number,” Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju informed Rajya Sabha in a written reply.
The Minister said the Naxals are using sophisticated weapons like LMG, AK-47 etc. for attacks on security forces and notwithstanding some setbacks in the recent times, the CPI(Maoist) retains its core armed strength and the capacity to launch spectacular attacks.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
He said LWE groups recruit a large number of youth every year and as per reports available, in 2013, these groups recruited around 433 cadres from the LWE affected states.
Rijiju said the banned CPI(Maoist) is trying to establish organisational bases in the Northeast with a view to forge relations with other insurgent groups to meet its military requirements and the Central government has alerted the state governments concerned.
“The CPI(Maoist) has developed close fraternal ties with Northeast insurgent groups like the Revolutionary People’s Front, People’s Liberation Army of Manipur, NSCN(IM) and ULFA. The outfit also forged tactical understanding with the RPF, PLA and NSCN(IM) for procuring arms and ammunition and imparting military, communication training to its cadres,” he said.