Two policemen sacked in a custodial death case were in for more trouble after they moved the Bombay High Court with a purportedly forged letter from Rashtrapati Bhavan directing their reinstatement as they had been granted Presidential pardon.
As syntax errors and sloppy writing gave them away,Maharashtra government checked with Rashtrapati Bhavan,which said no such letter was issued. The letter is forged and the state would take action against the duo for committing forgery,Additional Public Prosecutor Jayesh Yagnik told a Bench of Justices Abhay Oka and Sadhana Jadhav on Thursday.
The court asked the state government to file an affidavit to this effect by October 25 and posted the matter for further hearing on October 30. Sub-inspector Dilip Parmar and constable Kantilal Mandole,both aged 56,had claimed in the petition that they had been given Presidential pardon in 2010.
When the prosecutor checked the fact with the Home Department,he was told that the letter could not be traced. The department then approached Rashtrapati Bhavan,which confirmed that no such pardon had been given.