Amidst stepped up pressure to secure the release of over 220 Tamil Nadu fishermen detained in Sri Lanka,22 more were arrested by the island navy early today while fishing in the Palk Strait.
The fishermen from Jagadapattinam in Pudukottai District were arrested by Sri Lankan Naval personnel this morning for allegedly fishing in their country’s territorial waters and taken to Kangesanthurai Port along with their six boats,officials said quoting information received by them.
The Sri Lankan navalmen also chased away another group of fishermen from here when they were fishing near Katchatheevu after allegedly snapping their fishing nets.
Tension prevailed in the coastal hamlets in Pudukottai following the arrest of 22 fishermen,officials said.
Fishermen in the state had been demanding immediate release of 227 fishermen of Nagapattinam,Karaikal and Pudukottai districts,detained by Lankan Navy over the past few months and even went on a brief strike.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
A delegation of fishermen from Tamil Nadu and Puducherry yesterday met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and urged him to prevail upon Sri Lanka to release their colleagues lodged in jails there.