Sri Lanka on Tuesday arrested 15 fishermen from here for allegedly poaching in that country’s waters near Katchatheevu, police said.
All of them were taken to Talaimannar coast along with their three boats, police said quoting Fishermen’s Association President Emirit and Sesuraja.
- Tamil Nadu fishermen chased away, fishing nets snapped by Sri Lankan Navy
- Eight Tamil Nadu fishermen arrested by Sri Lankan Navy, nets snapped
- Sri Lankan Navy arrests 10 Tamil Nadu fishermen
- Four Tamil Nadu fishermen arrested by Lankan Navy
- Drawing a line in water
- Karuna writes to PM on Lanka's reported move on military base
A group of fishermen in 734 boats had gone for fishing in the sea last evening. As the fish availability was very poor, they had crossed over to the Sri Lankan territory. Indian fishermen were not allowed near Katchatheevu, though they had the right to dry their nets in the island as per the agreement under which the islet was ceded by India to
Lanka in 1974, they said.
The Lankan navy personnel surrounded three boats owned by Britto, Kudbuddin and Nizamudin and arrested 15 fishermen in it and took them along with the boats to Talaimannar coast, they said.