The Sri Lankan Navy has arrested 11 Tamil Nadu fishermen, hours after they apprehended 36 fishermen hailing from a village in Pudukottai district and this coastal town on Wednesday while fishing near Neduntheevu and Katchatheevu islet, a fisheries department official said.
While the 11 fishermen were arrested on Wednesday midnight, 36 fishermen were apprehended on Wednesday morning on charges of crossing IMBL, Gopinath, Assistant Director of Rameswaram Fisheries Department and T Sesuraja, Rameswaram Fishermen Organisation President said.
The navy personnel, who came in ships, also fired in the air threatening the fishermen to leave the area. They also sank a mechanised boat worth about Rs 40 lakh besides damaging several crafts and fishing nets, they said.
All the arrests fishermen were taken to Thalaimannar and Kankesanthurai to be produced in courts. Sri Lankan Navy personnel had arrested 82 fishermen on June 7 after they allegedly entered the island nation waters.
However, they were ordered to be released by President Mahinda Rajapakse in a goodwill gesture. Indian Coast Guard has repatriated 680 fishermen since January this year.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More