With BJP-led NDA sweeping the Lok Sabha polls and Narendra Modi set to occupy the Prime Minister’s chair, the Special Protection Group (SPG) is waiting for formal orders to take over his security cover. As of now, Modi gets security cover from the National Security Guard (NSG) and the Gujarat police.
The Intelligence Bureau (IB) has already assessed the threat perception to Modi, who has ‘Z-plus’ security.
SPG Director General K Durga Prasad told The Indian Express, “We will be in touch with the present security set-up, the National Security Guard (NSG) and Gujarat Police.”
Modi’s security was further stepped up following fresh intelligence inputs on a likely attack. The officer added that no SPG team had been sent to Gujarat to assess the security threat to Modi.
“It is the Intelligence Bureau (IB) that does the assessment. Once we get reports and formal orders, we will take over his security after swearing-in, whenever it happens,” said Prasad.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Security at the official residence of the PM, 7, RCR, Delhi, is under control of SPG which sanitises the premises regularly.
According to the SPG Act, security cover is also extended to immediate family members of the PM. Modi’s wife Jasodaben lives in Vadnagar and his mother Hiraben lives in Gandhinagar.
Although SPG has a clear charter of duties and a detailed security blueprint for the Prime Minister, any relevant information can be sourced from other security forces deployed around him.
“The SPG comprises men from all central armed police forces who come here on deputation. If there is a need we can pool in policemen providing mobile security cover to him. There is no bar on it,” said a senior official.
When it comes to Modi’ security, Gujarat Police lead from the front and would give bare minimum details to other forces roped in for his security when he attends rallies and meetings outside the state.
Modi addressed 437 rallies across 25 states since he started campaigning for Lok Sabha polls, his protection being a big challenge for security agencies. Whenever Modi attended rallies, the venue had at least seven layers of security. The MHA put him in “heightened security cover” after the serial blasts in Patna in October during his rally. A special security plan was chalked out during campaigning and Gujarat Police asked to liaison with other security forces in advance.