Citing the support of BJP to the Lokpal Bill,Congress on Sunday hoped that UPA’s outside ally Samajwadi Party will reconsider its opposition to the anti-graft measure.
“Compliment Rahul Gandhi for coming out strongly in favour of Lok Pal and Arun Jaitley also for supporting it. Hope SP would reconsider,” Congress General Secretary Digvijaya Singh said on Twitter.
The Lokpal Bill,in an amended form after consideration by the Select Committee,was brought back to the Rajya Sabha for consideration but there could not been any discussion on it due to opposition by Samajwadi Party members.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
“Thank Anna for supporting Lok Pal. Hope it becomes Law in this Session of Parliament,” Singh further tweeted.
Among the amendments made in the bill are delinking of the setting up of Lokayuktas in states,a highly controversial provision because of which many parties had opposed it in the House in December 2011.
The new bill also grants powers to ombudsman to sanction prosecution against public servants.
Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi has also appealed to political parties to set aside their differences to ensure the bill’s passage to fight corruption.
The Lokpal Bill is slated for a debate in Rajya Sabha on Monday. Referring to Samajwadi Party’s opposition to the Bill,Gandhi had recently said that all parties should together accomplish this bill.
He had appealed to all parties to support this bill which was in the national interest.