Citing the support of BJP to the Lokpal Bill,Congress on Sunday hoped that UPA’s outside ally Samajwadi Party will reconsider its opposition to the anti-graft measure.
“Compliment Rahul Gandhi for coming out strongly in favour of Lok Pal and Arun Jaitley also for supporting it. Hope SP would reconsider,” Congress General Secretary Digvijaya Singh said on Twitter.
The Lokpal Bill,in an amended form after consideration by the Select Committee,was brought back to the Rajya Sabha for consideration but there could not been any discussion on it due to opposition by Samajwadi Party members.
“Thank Anna for supporting Lok Pal. Hope it becomes Law in this Session of Parliament,” Singh further tweeted.
Among the amendments made in the bill are delinking of the setting up of Lokayuktas in states,a highly controversial provision because of which many parties had opposed it in the House in December 2011.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The new bill also grants powers to ombudsman to sanction prosecution against public servants.
Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi has also appealed to political parties to set aside their differences to ensure the bill’s passage to fight corruption.
The Lokpal Bill is slated for a debate in Rajya Sabha on Monday. Referring to Samajwadi Party’s opposition to the Bill,Gandhi had recently said that all parties should together accomplish this bill.
He had appealed to all parties to support this bill which was in the national interest.