Samajwadi Party leader Abu Asim Azmi has demanded suspension of the police personnel who allegedly led a midnight raid in Rashid Compound of Muslim-dominated Mumbra here, and said they will “gherao” Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan over the issue tomorrow.
“I am seriously concerned over the manner in which police harassed the innocent and law abiding citizens of Rashid Compound at midnight and dragged them to police station as if they are criminals… This highhandedness by police is unwarranted,” said Azmi, who is also the president of state unit of SP.
In a “combing operation” apparently to nab chain snatchers launched by Thane police in the wee hours of Thursday, more than 80 Muslim men were allegedly detained at the Mumbra police station for over four hours.
“This is not the manner in which the combing operation is carried out and police had even broken doors of some of the houses and created terror,” he said.
The detainees were released only after local NCP MLA Jitendra Avhad intervened into the matter.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
However, Azmi alleged that Avhad knew of the combing operation in advance. Azmi said he wanted policemen who participated in the action suspended and will “gherao” the Chief Minister to press for this demand.
After an uproar over the issue, Thane Police Commissioner Vijay Kamble has ordered an inquiry into the incident and the concerned ACP has been sent on leave.