Samajwadi Party leader Abu Asim Azmi has demanded suspension of the police personnel who allegedly led a midnight raid in Rashid Compound of Muslim-dominated Mumbra here, and said they will “gherao” Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan over the issue tomorrow.
“I am seriously concerned over the manner in which police harassed the innocent and law abiding citizens of Rashid Compound at midnight and dragged them to police station as if they are criminals… This highhandedness by police is unwarranted,” said Azmi, who is also the president of state unit of SP.
In a “combing operation” apparently to nab chain snatchers launched by Thane police in the wee hours of Thursday, more than 80 Muslim men were allegedly detained at the Mumbra police station for over four hours.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
“This is not the manner in which the combing operation is carried out and police had even broken doors of some of the houses and created terror,” he said.
The detainees were released only after local NCP MLA Jitendra Avhad intervened into the matter.
However, Azmi alleged that Avhad knew of the combing operation in advance. Azmi said he wanted policemen who participated in the action suspended and will “gherao” the Chief Minister to press for this demand.
After an uproar over the issue, Thane Police Commissioner Vijay Kamble has ordered an inquiry into the incident and the concerned ACP has been sent on leave.