- Happy Diwali 2017: Wishes, Images, WhatsApp and Facebook Status and Messages, Quotes, Greetings, Wallpapers to send to your loves ones!
- Mersal movie review: There is never a dull moment in this Vijay starrer
- Pakistan vs Sri Lanka, 3rd ODI: Hassan Ali, Imam-ul-Haq give Pakistan unassailable 3-0 series lead
Survivors of the 1993 Sopore massacre have filed a petition challenging the closure report of the case filed by the CBI.
“The survivors have contested the rationale of the CBI and the state. It appears only 11 civilian witnesses’ statements have been taken. In reality, there are numerous witnesses whose evidence must be recorded,” said human rights activist and president of Jammu-Kashmir Coalition of Civil Society Pervez Imroz, who represents the survivors.
In December 2013, CBI filed a closure report before the TADA court in Srinagar, saying the witnesses examined were unable to identify the BSF personnel involved in the incident and could not give details of the firing or cross-firing. The CBI also argued that more than 20 years had already passed and “the accused BSF personnel have already been tried for the alleged offences by the competent court established by law” and convicted accordingly.
Imroz said the CBI already had names of 10 officers and personnel of the Border Security Force (BSF) in its record. “These include the then DIG (BSF) R S Jasrotia, Sector Headquarters, BSF, Baramulla, and Commandant S Thanggapan of 94th Battalion. They could be indicted in this case,” he said.
Imroz has questioned the proceeding of the court martial by BSF terming it a cover-up attempt. “Through information collected through the RTI Act, it is clear that the court-martial by the BSF was only an attempt to cover up the massacre” he said.
The court has asked CBI investigating officer Vijay Kumar Shukla to appear on July 14.