On a visit to Karnataka to highlight the initiatives of the ruling UPA government, UPA chairperson and Congress president Sonia Gandhi Saturday launched an attack on the opposition BJP, accusing the party of indulging in “zeher ki kheti” (sowing seeds of poison) to attain power.
Addressing a rally in Gulbarga, Sonia said that while other parties hankered after power, Congress was concerned about the country. She said the BJP and other parties were so hungry for power that they are willing to sow the seeds of poison to achieve it.
“I want to ask those who are constantly beating their own drums whether they intend to do good for the country. Their only aim is to capture power and they will resort to any kind of conspiracy to achieve it. You have to be wary of these people and their intentions,” she said. “I believe you will not allow those dividing society for their politics to succeed.”
The Hyderabad-Karnataka region, where the UPA has set in motion a series of initiatives, is considered a key region for the Congress in the Lok Sabha polls. The region, encompassing districts of Bidar, Gulbarga, Yadgir, Raichur, Koppal and Bellary, has a sizeable minorities and backward caste population, which the Congress views as its traditional vote base.
“We are concerned about alleviating poverty and self-respect for the poor. We want to foster brotherhood among all communities and maintain peace. So, we are in a position to speed up development in country,” Gandhi said. “The Congress is concerned about the future of Hyderabad-Karnataka. Rahulji had promised and as per constitutional provisions, we gave special status to Gulbarga, Yadgir, Raichur, Koppal, Bellary and Bidar districts.”
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016