As police probed the death of Sunanda Pushkar, the Congress leadership on Saturday stood by Union Minister Shashi Tharoor who chose to maintain public silence.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh expressed “shock” and “deep sadness” over his colleague’s bereavement and told Tharoor that “we are with you in this hour of grief” while Congress president Sonia Gandhi drove to his residence late in the evening.
Hours after Pushkar was cremated, Gandhi went to Tharoor’s Lodhi Estate residence to offer her condolences. She was accompanied by senior leaders Ambika Soni, Ahmed Patel, Mukul Wasnik, Ashwani Kumar and Rajiv Shukla.
While the Congress stood by Tharoor, his political rivals in Kerala sighted an opportunity and demanded an independent probe into the death of Pushkar, days after the discord in their marital life spilled into the public domain and she accused her husband of having an affair with a Pakistani journalist. She had even told The Sunday Express that she would seek divorce from him.
In a condolence message to his cabinet colleague, the Prime Minister said: “It is with shock and deep sadness that I learnt about your bereavement. The loss of one’s companion is indeed irreparable but I would like you to know that we are with you in this hour of grief. May God give you strength to tide over this difficult time.”
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Barring Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and Union Ministers R P N Singh and J D Seelam, none of the Congress leaders though attended the last rites at the Lodhi Road crematorium. It was largely a family-and-friends affair and Pushkar’s 21-year-old son Shiv Menon performed the last rites in the presence of her father, brothers and Tharoor’s sister.
Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad met Tharoor at the AIIMS where he was admitted earlier in the day while Defence Minister A K Antony and his cabinet colleagues like Vayalar Ravi, K C Venugopal, K Suresh, Pallam Raju, Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman P J Kurien, former Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit went to his residence when the body of Pushkar was brought there.
With the cause of her death still a mystery, both the CPM and the CPI demanded a probe. “There should be an independent probe… since he is a Union Minister,” CPM politburo member Kodiyeri Balakrishnan said.