As police probed the death of Sunanda Pushkar, the Congress leadership on Saturday stood by Union Minister Shashi Tharoor who chose to maintain public silence.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh expressed “shock” and “deep sadness” over his colleague’s bereavement and told Tharoor that “we are with you in this hour of grief” while Congress president Sonia Gandhi drove to his residence late in the evening.
Hours after Pushkar was cremated, Gandhi went to Tharoor’s Lodhi Estate residence to offer her condolences. She was accompanied by senior leaders Ambika Soni, Ahmed Patel, Mukul Wasnik, Ashwani Kumar and Rajiv Shukla.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
While the Congress stood by Tharoor, his political rivals in Kerala sighted an opportunity and demanded an independent probe into the death of Pushkar, days after the discord in their marital life spilled into the public domain and she accused her husband of having an affair with a Pakistani journalist. She had even told The Sunday Express that she would seek divorce from him.
In a condolence message to his cabinet colleague, the Prime Minister said: “It is with shock and deep sadness that I learnt about your bereavement. The loss of one’s companion is indeed irreparable but I would like you to know that we are with you in this hour of grief. May God give you strength to tide over this difficult time.”
Barring Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and Union Ministers R P N Singh and J D Seelam, none of the Congress leaders though attended the last rites at the Lodhi Road crematorium. It was largely a family-and-friends affair and Pushkar’s 21-year-old son Shiv Menon performed the last rites in the presence of her father, brothers and Tharoor’s sister.
Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad met Tharoor at the AIIMS where he was admitted earlier in the day while Defence Minister A K Antony and his cabinet colleagues like Vayalar Ravi, K C Venugopal, K Suresh, Pallam Raju, Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman P J Kurien, former Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit went to his residence when the body of Pushkar was brought there.
With the cause of her death still a mystery, both the CPM and the CPI demanded a probe. “There should be an independent probe… since he is a Union Minister,” CPM politburo member Kodiyeri Balakrishnan said.