Six killed, 19 injured as gas leak causes blaze in Kanpur

Fire broke out following leakage in a gas cylinder in Chamanganj area.

By: Press Trust of India | Kanpur | Published: June 29, 2014 3:10 am

Six persons were killed and 19 injured, four of them critically, when a fire broke out following leakage in a gas cylinder in Chamanganj area here, police said Saturday.

The incident took place Friday when Anil, a resident of Chamanganj, allegedly kept a leaking gas cylinder inside a water tank at a public toilet here, a police spokesman said. As the water tank was empty, the leakage continued and spread.

Meanwhile, someone entered the toilet and lit a cigarette which triggered the blaze, he said.

Anil had brought the cylinder for use in his house. But when he opened its cap, gas started leaking and so he kept it in the nearby toilet.

Two fire tenders took two hours to control the fire.

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results