Six people, including a six-year-old, were injured in an explosion near Manipur University at Canchipur in Imphal city on Saturday. The blast took place nearly 3.5 km from the University gate on the main highway at 9.25 am, 50 minutes after Chief Minister Okram Ibobi Singh passed the stretch while he was on his way to Chandel.
However, Manipur DGP Shahid Ahmad ruled out the possibility of the CM being targeted.
“Investigations are going on and we are yet to ascertain who was being targeted. No insurgent group has taken responsibility for the blast so far. However, the CM passed through that route a good 50 minutes before the explosion. So we rejected the possibility of him being targeted due to the time lapse. There are a number of Assam Rifles vehicles which had been travelling on that road today and we feel that they are more likely the target of the bomb blast,’’ the DGP told The Sunday Express.
According to the police, the improvised explosive device (IED) was attached to the branch of a large banyan tree.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
Ahmad added that the IED had been fixed on top of the tree as the highway was routinely checked by the security forces and the Manipur police.