Six people, including a six-year-old, were injured in an explosion near Manipur University at Canchipur in Imphal city on Saturday. The blast took place nearly 3.5 km from the University gate on the main highway at 9.25 am, 50 minutes after Chief Minister Okram Ibobi Singh passed the stretch while he was on his way to Chandel.
However, Manipur DGP Shahid Ahmad ruled out the possibility of the CM being targeted.
“Investigations are going on and we are yet to ascertain who was being targeted. No insurgent group has taken responsibility for the blast so far. However, the CM passed through that route a good 50 minutes before the explosion. So we rejected the possibility of him being targeted due to the time lapse. There are a number of Assam Rifles vehicles which had been travelling on that road today and we feel that they are more likely the target of the bomb blast,’’ the DGP told The Sunday Express.
According to the police, the improvised explosive device (IED) was attached to the branch of a large banyan tree.
Ahmad added that the IED had been fixed on top of the tree as the highway was routinely checked by the security forces and the Manipur police.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest