The bodies of six persons including a seven-year-old girl were fished out from different water bodies in the Kashmir Valley.
Three of the deceased drowned while taking bath to beat the heat, and the other three were found dead mysteriously in the water bodies prompting police to start inquest proceedings to ascertain the cause of their death.
The mercury has been on the rise in the Kashmir Valley over the past couple of days.
The body of Class 9 student Shareen Tariq, a resident of Sangri village of Baramulla, was fished out from Pohru stream at Drugmullah in Kupwara district of north Kashmir today, a police spokesman said.
The boy had come to a relative’s house in Drugmulla and was taking bath in the stream last evening when he drowned. “Police and civil administration launched a rescue operation with the assistance of Army soon after information about the drowning reached them.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“As the efforts proved futile, later the assistance of marine commandos of Indian Navy was sought by the administration to retrieve the body,” the spokesman said, adding after strenuous efforts the body was fished out from the stream this morning and handed over to his relatives.
Meanwhile, seven-year-old Meema drowned in Shahkul stream near Mattan in Anantnag district of south Kashmir this morning while she was taking bath, the spokesman said.
Another teenager drowned in the Jhelum river near his house at Sheikh zoo in Ganderbal district of central Kashmir. His body was fished out and handed over to his relatives, the spokesman said.
He said police recovered the body of a Sikh youth, Nanak Singh, from Lidder stream at Peth Nambal in Mattan area of Anantnag district. The cause of Singh’s death was not known immediately.
Meanwhile, the body of a middle-aged unidentified person was fished out from Zojilla stream along Srinagar-Leh Road, the spokesman said, adding that the body had been brought to Sonamarg hospital in Ganderbal district for identification.
Thirty-year-old Mushtaq Ahmad Wani,a resident of Nadigam, was found dead at a filtration plant at Habdipora village of Shopian district in south Kashmir, the spokesman said.
He said the deceased was “mentally unsound” and his body was handed over to his next of kin after completion of
The day temperature in Kashmir has been on the rise for the past few days as local residents are taking a dip in water
bodies to beat the heat.
A MET department official said the maximum temperature in Srinagar yesterday was recorded at 31.6 degrees Celsius, which was slightly above normal for this time of the year.