A Singaporean earth observation satellite will be launched with an Indian Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) next year, a senior official said on Sunday. The TeLEOS-1 would be Singapore’s first commercial project on Indian Space Research organisation’s PSLV, making Near Equatorial Orbit, taking images for shipping and maritime security, Mah How Teck, Vice President for Market Development at Singapore Technologies Electronics Ltd told PTI.
ST Electronics has signed an agreement with India’s Antrix Corporation Ltd for the satellite to ride on PSLV, which would be launched into space at 550-km above the Earth at a low inclination in the fourth quarter of 2015. The 400-kg satellite is equipped with an electro-optical camera capable of taking images at ground resolution of one metre, Mah said. “It is suitable for applications such as disaster and environment monitoring, maritime safety, urban planning and homeland security,” he said, after hosting a pre-Singapore Airshow press conference.
The unique Near Equatorial Orbit allows frequent revisits to areas of interest in equatorial regions at approximately 96-minute intervals, delivering high data availability and responsiveness, Mah said. Singapore launched its first experimental satellite XSAT in April 2011 with the help of ISRO. This is their second project.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
The TeLEOS-1 is a commercial project by ST Electronics and its compatriot partners Nanyang Technological University and Defence Science Organisation Laboratories, following up with the XSAT, their first research project. Mah said TeLEOS-1 would be ready for launch in the fourth quarter of next year, having completed more than 60 per cent of the project.
Meanwhile, preparations were underway for Singapore Airshow, which held pre-opening full dress rehearsal on Sunday. Staring Monday, more than 80 civilian and defence aircraft and 60 out of the top 100 aviation companies are taking part in the week-long exhibition and conferences.