A Singaporean earth observation satellite will be launched with an Indian Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) next year, a senior official said on Sunday. The TeLEOS-1 would be Singapore’s first commercial project on Indian Space Research organisation’s PSLV, making Near Equatorial Orbit, taking images for shipping and maritime security, Mah How Teck, Vice President for Market Development at Singapore Technologies Electronics Ltd told PTI.
ST Electronics has signed an agreement with India’s Antrix Corporation Ltd for the satellite to ride on PSLV, which would be launched into space at 550-km above the Earth at a low inclination in the fourth quarter of 2015. The 400-kg satellite is equipped with an electro-optical camera capable of taking images at ground resolution of one metre, Mah said. “It is suitable for applications such as disaster and environment monitoring, maritime safety, urban planning and homeland security,” he said, after hosting a pre-Singapore Airshow press conference.
The unique Near Equatorial Orbit allows frequent revisits to areas of interest in equatorial regions at approximately 96-minute intervals, delivering high data availability and responsiveness, Mah said. Singapore launched its first experimental satellite XSAT in April 2011 with the help of ISRO. This is their second project.
The TeLEOS-1 is a commercial project by ST Electronics and its compatriot partners Nanyang Technological University and Defence Science Organisation Laboratories, following up with the XSAT, their first research project. Mah said TeLEOS-1 would be ready for launch in the fourth quarter of next year, having completed more than 60 per cent of the project.
Meanwhile, preparations were underway for Singapore Airshow, which held pre-opening full dress rehearsal on Sunday. Staring Monday, more than 80 civilian and defence aircraft and 60 out of the top 100 aviation companies are taking part in the week-long exhibition and conferences.
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked