Three militants holed up in a house were killed by security forces in Shopian district of Kashmir as the overnight encounter in which a Major and a soldier lost their lives ended this morning.
Bodies of the three militants have been recovered and operation has now been called off, a senior police official said.
The official said while two militants were killed last evening, the third ultra put up a stiff resistance.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
“The third militant started firing again this morning and was killed around 9.15 AM,” he added.
An army officer, Major Mukund Varadarajan, and a soldier were killed while fighting the militants.
Some arms and ammunition were also recovered from the scene of the encounter, he said.
Security forces launched a search operation in Karewa Malino in Shopian, 55 kms from here, last evening following information about presence of three militants — two locals and one foreigner.
The militants were asked to surrender but they resorted to firing, triggering the gunfight.
The identity of the slain militants could not be ascertained immediately.
Shopian is part of the Anantnag Parliamentary constituency and the encounter took place a day after militants carried out an attack on a polling party escorted by police and CRPF in the district at the end of the voting on Thursday.
One polling officer was killed while five others including three security personnel were injured in the incident.