Shimla’s most magnificent heritage building, Gorton Castle, housing Himachal Pardesh’s Accountant General (AG) office was gutted in a devastating fire early Tuesday morning .
The fire which started around 3 am spread through the four-storey sprawling complex build during the British Raj days, reduced the main complex into ashes.
Located next to State Vidhan Sabha, on the road leading to historic Viceregal Lodge–another equally important heritage of Shimla, Gorton Castle was renovated only few years back investing crores of rupees. It was one of Shimla’s few architectural landmarks, visited by tourists and heritage lovers.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
Deputy Commissioner Shimla Dinesh Malhotra said the fire started from the top floor of the building and thereafter it spread to lower storeys . ” It ‘s difficult to know the exact cause of the fire. We will order a probe even as police have also been told to investigate” he said.
Some of the early witnesses ,who reached at the spot said the fire may have been caused by short-circuting or use of electric heating, either by the night guards or officials ,who may have left heaters on while leaving the office.
The fire was seen engulfing the building as Shimla woke-up in shock and disbelief. More than 100 heritage buildings of Shimla have gutted in winter fires in past two decades.