Shimla’s most magnificent heritage building, Gorton Castle, housing Himachal Pardesh’s Accountant General (AG) office was gutted in a devastating fire early Tuesday morning .
The fire which started around 3 am spread through the four-storey sprawling complex build during the British Raj days, reduced the main complex into ashes.
Located next to State Vidhan Sabha, on the road leading to historic Viceregal Lodge–another equally important heritage of Shimla, Gorton Castle was renovated only few years back investing crores of rupees. It was one of Shimla’s few architectural landmarks, visited by tourists and heritage lovers.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
Deputy Commissioner Shimla Dinesh Malhotra said the fire started from the top floor of the building and thereafter it spread to lower storeys . ” It ‘s difficult to know the exact cause of the fire. We will order a probe even as police have also been told to investigate” he said.
Some of the early witnesses ,who reached at the spot said the fire may have been caused by short-circuting or use of electric heating, either by the night guards or officials ,who may have left heaters on while leaving the office.
The fire was seen engulfing the building as Shimla woke-up in shock and disbelief. More than 100 heritage buildings of Shimla have gutted in winter fires in past two decades.