A Delhi court on Saturday imposed a fine of Rs 3 lakh on former Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit in connection with a defamation suit she filed against BJP leader Vijender Gupta.
Metropolitan Magistrate Neha fined Dikshit for “non appearance” before the court and directed that Rs 2 lakh from the fine be given to Delhi Legal Services Authority. The remaining Rs 1 lakh will be given to the accused in the defamation suit, the court said.
The order came even as Dikshit failed to submit evidence against the accused. The court had fixed Saturday for Dikshit to submit evidence against Gupta.
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
Diskhit’s counsel moved an application, claiming that Dikshit could not appear due to political commitments. The plea was opposed by Gupta’s counsel, who said Diskhit was trying to delay the matter.
The court granted Dikshit a “last opportunity” and directed that she appear before the court on December 20.
In the defamation suit, Dikshit had alleged that Gupta had used “uncivilised” language against her during a press conference ahead of the MCD polls last year. He had allegedly accused her of helping and conniving with power companies.