After saanvli comment, Sharad Yadav tells Smriti Irani: ‘I know what you are’

As Yadav explained his position on issue, he was interrupted by both treasury and opposition members including HRD Minister Smriti Irani.

By: Press Trust of India Written by Vijaita Singh | New Delhi | Updated: March 17, 2015 10:56 am
Sharad Yadav, Sharad yadav comment, Rajya Sabha, Sharad Yadav raked the issue up again saying he was ready for a debate on the issue. (PTI Photo)

Under attack for his comment on “saanvli” (dark-complexioned) women, JD(U) leader Sharad Yadav hit back at HRD Minister Smriti Irani in the Rajya Sabha on Monday and told her, “I know what you are”.

Yadav refused to apologise for his earlier remark on “saanvli” women. “What have I said? Why should I apologise? I raised a very important issue of discrimination on colour. There has been a long struggle against discrimination based on colour… I am ready to participate in a debate any time… Saanvli women are more in number in India, they are more in number the world over,” he said.

Irani then asked him not to bring in such issues. “I appeal to the gentleman not to make comments on colour of skin of women in this manner. A very wrong message is going. I do not think any comment should be made on this,” she said.

Related Article

An angry Yadav pointed at Irani and said, “Kaun hain aap? Ye aap kya hain, main jaanta hoon (Who are you? I know what you are).

Yadav said, “I have the records of all that has been said about women from the time of (Ram Manohar) Lohia to (Mahatma) Gandhi… the kind of struggle that has gone behind this.”

DMK MP Kanimozhi, who was the lone voice to protest against Yadav’s comment on Thursday, rose to protest. As other members joined in, Deputy Chairman P J Kurien said he would not allow a discussion on the issue. “I am not allowing any discussion… white or dark colour, it is all the same,” he said.

The issue was raised by Union Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad, soon after the house began its proceedings on Monday. “Sharad Yadavji made a comment on dark-complexioned women, some television channels showed that I was supporting him. I want to completely disassociate from the comment,” he said.

Yadav was criticising the proposal to hike FDI in the insurance sector from 26 per cent to 49 per cent when he started speaking about “our affinity” for white skin. He talked about how Leslee Udwin, director of the December 16 gangrape documentary, must have found it “easy” to acquire permissions because of her skin colour.

He then went on to say: “The women of the south are dark but they are… their bodies…” At this point, members sitting around him tried to bring him back to the topic at hand with cries of “Sharadji Bill”.

Mar 17, 2015 at 11:46 pm
    Mr Sharad Yadav is a typical feudal Indian who has no respect for lady. See what he told Smriti Irani when she tried to stop him. He said that he knows who she is. He can not put forward a logical arguement during debates on any topic but would like to get involved in all the discussion and when he is corned he will come out with controversial statement. Inspite of all his shortcomings , he is leader of a national party. God saves us from such so called leaders.
    1. B
      Mar 16, 2015 at 7:40 pm
      I don't see any problem with that statement ("Shanvli"- dusky complexion) of Mr Yadav. It's a fact that there are more dusky complexion (for both men and women) in India and in the world. He just said that without any judgement in favor or against any women having any color of skin.
        Mar 17, 2015 at 3:18 am
        Let us not give much importance whatever said by Sharad Yadav,MP in Rajya sabha.At present after coming out of NDA he does not have any publicity as such he is bound to says something to attract Public and get Publicity in Media.His contribution to public issues are big Zero except shouting in parliament.After seeing these type of MPs one feels whether one should see telecast of Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha.Thanks God SC and Print/Electronic media are there to sauard our Democracy otherwise such type of MPs will destroy culture and peace in public.
          Mar 16, 2015 at 6:35 pm
          The people that vote for political parties with politicians like these - don't you care about the "Izzat" of your womenfolk? There's your representative, in parliament - no less, waxing eloquent about the bodies of duskier women. There will be such creatures in all societies - we should make a better effort to keep them out of public office. Please, I appeal to all of UP and Bihar in Hindi - Aise duschatritra aur abhadra vyaktiyon ko rajneetik padon se rakhna aavashyak hai.
          1. J