Seven people died while eight suffered severe burn injuries after a petrol tanker plying into Mumbai overturned and exploded at the Charoti toll booth on the Ahmedabad-Mumbai national highway at Dahanu on Saturday afternoon.
Eyewitnesses said that within seconds, the tanker exploded into flames and the fire engulfed vehicles parked nearby.
Pradip Jadhav, the Deputy Superintendent of Police Jawhar, said that the seven dead included two children, the tanker driver, cleaner, another occupant of the tanker and two passengers sitting in a cab plying towards Palghar.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
The deceased have been identified as Seeta Dinesh Gupta, Reena Sunil Umbrasada and her two children Payal and Tejal.
The other deceased include the driver, cleaner and another person in the tanker. The injured were rushed to a municipal hospital at Kasa in Dahanu, where five, reported to be seriously injured, were later shifted to the Wockhardt Hospital in Mulund.
Others suffered minor burn injuries.
According to the police, the tanker loaded with the inflammable liquid was traveling towards Mumbai at a high speed when the driver lost control and crashed.