Seven people died while eight suffered severe burn injuries after a petrol tanker plying into Mumbai overturned and exploded at the Charoti toll booth on the Ahmedabad-Mumbai national highway at Dahanu on Saturday afternoon.
Eyewitnesses said that within seconds, the tanker exploded into flames and the fire engulfed vehicles parked nearby.
Pradip Jadhav, the Deputy Superintendent of Police Jawhar, said that the seven dead included two children, the tanker driver, cleaner, another occupant of the tanker and two passengers sitting in a cab plying towards Palghar.
The deceased have been identified as Seeta Dinesh Gupta, Reena Sunil Umbrasada and her two children Payal and Tejal.
The other deceased include the driver, cleaner and another person in the tanker. The injured were rushed to a municipal hospital at Kasa in Dahanu, where five, reported to be seriously injured, were later shifted to the Wockhardt Hospital in Mulund.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
Others suffered minor burn injuries.
According to the police, the tanker loaded with the inflammable liquid was traveling towards Mumbai at a high speed when the driver lost control and crashed.