In a setback for the Gujarat government, the Supreme Court on Friday acquitted all the accused in the 1993 Surat Bomb blast cases that had left one girl dead and more than 40 injured.
A bench led by Justice T S Thakur set aside the judgement of the TADA court convicting the accused in 2008 and sentencing them to varying jail terms up to 20 years.
The court also dismissed the state government’s appeals demanding enhancement of punishment for some convicts and also challenging the acquittals of a few accused.
Two blasts had rocked the city in 1993. First bomb blast took place on 21 January 1993 in Varachha area of Surat. Next day another bomb blast happened at Surat railway station targetting an express train. The Varachha blast killed one female student Alpa Patel and caused serious injuries to 11 persons. The blast at Surat railway station seriously injured 38 passengers.
The TADA court upheld the prosecution’s version that these blasts were carried out to retaliate against the demolition of Babri mosque in Ayodhya. It held them guilty of terror charges and sentenced them to varying jail terms.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016