Paving the way for their arrests, a civil and sessions court in Ahmedabad on Tuesday rejected the anticipatory bail application of activist Teesta Setalvad, her husband Javed Anand and three others in the alleged riots-related fund embezzlement case.
Although Setalvad is protected from arrest till March 31 as ordered by the Supreme Court, the activist is likely to move Gujarat High Court against the order. Additional sessions judge S M Vora, while rejecting the plea, observed there is evidence against the accused persons and police investigation is needed in the presence of the accused.
Ajay Choksi, special public prosecutor, said that the court upheld the argument that the funds collected for the riot victims were not used properly. They were used for personal purposes like payment of credit cards, among other things.
Ahmedabad’s Detection of Crime Branch (DCB), filed affidavits claiming Setalvad and her husband allegedly embezzled funds which she raised to help the 2002 post-Godhra riot victims. A former resident of Gulberg Society, Firoz Saeedkhan Pathan, had lodged an FIR with the DCB, accusing Setalvad, Anand, Tanvir Jafri, son of ex-Congress MP Ahsan Jafri and Salim Sindhi and Feroz Gulzar Pathan, chairman and secretary of Gulberg Society, respectively of embezzlement.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review