Public Broadcaster Prasar Bharati has suspended a senior Doordarshan official against whom a sexual harassment complaint had been made by a colleague.
Sources told PTI that Prasar Bharati on Thursday released an order suspending the officer and asked a senior lady offical,who is higher in rank than the accused official,to conduct further proceedings in the matter.
A team of National Commission of Women (NCW),led by its member Charu Wali Khanna,had met Prasar Bharati top brass on Thursday and enquired about the details of the matter.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Earlier,acting on the complaint against the senior officer by a junior colleague who had accused him of using abusive language and inappropriate behaviour,Doordarshan had set up an inquiry committee.
After the submission of the inquiry committee report,the official was served a chargesheet and asked to respond. The I&B Ministry had also taken a serious note of the matter.
In a letter to Prasar Bharati,the Ministry had said the “inquiry committee is of the view there exists a prima facie case of sexual harrasment” and sought that action should be taken as per the procedure laid in the Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention,Prohibition and Redressal) Act,2013.
Prasar Bharati CEO Jawhar Sircar said the decision was an adminstrative one which had been taken collectively.
He said initially it was decided to move the official away from Doordarshan and make him do certain other work. Later,on the basis of careful considerations,a final decision was collectively taken that in view of the proceedings,it would be appropriate to suspend the officer.
NCW member Khanna said that on the basis of media reports,the commission had taken suo motu cognisance of the alleged sexual harassment of a colleague by a senior Doordarshan officer,and will submit its report on Saturday.
“We had taken suo motu cognisance of media reports regarding the allegations against the officer,and also visited the Prasar Bharati office Thursday. We will submit our report by Monday,” Khanna said.
Earlier,NCW chairperson Mamata Sharma had written to Prasar Bharati CEO Jawhar Sircar,requesting a probe into the matter.