- Kiran Bedi win: RSS says it’s kabaddi, hold breath
- Veteran’s work vs son-in-law’s youth
- Dense and dingy, yet women feel ‘safer’ in colony than outside
- ‘Always a third front man, so I joined Congress’
- AAP to send star campaigners to Sadar Bazaar, Krishna Nagar
- Senior BJP leader trying to put AAP in negative light: Arvind Kejriwal
- After Rahul word, concrete offer: Flats for slum dwellers
Security stepped up in Muzaffarnagar, Shamli for LS polls
Special arrangements are being made in Muzaffarnagar and Shamli districts besides deployment of several paramilitary forces to ensure thousand of voters in the riot-hit areas can cast their vote freely on April 10.
Security has been tightened especially in areas such as Phugana, Bhora Kala and Budhana which were worst affected during last year’s September riots, district magistrate Kaushal Raj Sharma said.
“27,198 people have been displaced from their native places, of which 3,259 riot victims have been enrolled as voters at places where they have rehabilitated.
“The remaining would be provided full security so that they can cast their vote at polling booths where they are registered as voters,” Sharma said
‘Vishvas’ cards have also been issued to thousands of people in the riot-hit areas. These contain mobile numbers of the district officials who can be contacted if the card-holder faces any trouble.
627 polling centres of riot-affected 20 villages have been declared sensitive, he said.
Meanwhile in neighbouring Shamli district, SP (Shamli) A K Rai said several companies of paramilitary and police will be deployed at the 442 polling centres.
Security will also be raised in areas bordering Haryana.
Deputy election commissioner Vinod Zutshi and UP chief election officer Umesh Sinha called a meeting in Meerut of senior police and district officials of the two districts on April 4 to discuss poll security arrangements.