While much is being said and done about construction of individual household toilets and school sanitation, the slow pace of construction of toilets in rural areas is a reason worth worrying . The data by Union Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation reveals that most of the states have failed to achieve the set target for the construction of toilets under the Nirmal Bharat Abhiyan.
Background: Nirmal Bharat Abhiyan – earlier called Total Sanitation Campaign – is a community-led sanitation programme initiated by Government of India in 1999. It is a demand-driven and people-centered sanitation program. It evolved from the limited achievements of the first structured programme for rural sanitation in India, the Central Rural Sanitation Programme, which had minimal community participation. The main goal of Total Sanitation Campaign is to eradicate the practice of open defecation by 2017.
The programme aims at building households toilets for below poverty line (BPL) families and above poverty line (APL) families in rural areas, school toilets, sanitary complexes and Anganwadi toilets. The report card of various states is a shocker, for most of the states could not even achieve 70 per cent of the target set for them.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Here is a look at the national statistics.
(the data is in percentage)
Out of all the states under the programme, Bihar, Jharkhand, Odisha, Punjab and Jammu and Kashmir have performed below average. While Punjab could achieve
The data give below is the physical performance of Nirmal Bharat Abhiyan in some of the worst performing cities. While all the data is for the above poverty line households, the data for Amritsar is for the below poverty line households.