Sania Mirza breaks down during TV interview

"Is it happening because I am a woman or I am married to a man from another country, why am I picked on?," asked Sania.

New Delhi | Updated: July 25, 2014 6:34 pm
sania480 “Is it happening because I am a woman or I am married to a man from another country, why am I picked on?,” asked Sania. (Source: IE archive)

An emotional Sania Mirza on Friday broke down during a television interview following the controversial remark by Telangana BJP leader K Laxman branding her ‘Pakistan’s daughter-in-law’.

Sania said it was unfair that she has to assert her “Indianess” all the time despite achieving so many laurels for the country.

“I was really sad yesterday. It is really upsetting for me. I don’t know if it happens in any other country. I don’t know how many times I will have to justify my Indianess, prove my patriotism,” Sania told NDTV during an interview while holding back tears.

“This is such a horrible thing. Is it happening because I am a woman or I am married to a man from another country, why am I picked on?

“I got medals for India after I got married. If someone questions my roots, my family even after all that I won’t let that happen. I am representing Talengana and India when I am playing and I will continue to do that. I will remain an Indian until the end of my life,” she said.

The TRS government had appointed Sania as brand ambassador of the newly carved-out state.

However, the decision didn’t go down well with Telangana BJP leader K Laxman, who questioned the tennis star’s credentials for the honour and termed her as “daughter-in-law” of Pakistan.

Condemning the remark, Sania issued a strong statement, saying: “I strongly condemn any attempts by any person to brand me an outsider. Hurts me that so much time is being wasted on a petty issue of my being appointed as brand ambassador of Telangana.”

Ankur
    Jul 26, 2014 at 10:01 am
    Ghanta.
    Ankur
    Jul 26, 2014 at 10:00 am
    She is not an indian Anymore for me . As this Married a stani she is now a stani. Why not go for Ms Nehwal instead of this .
    Anuradha Kalhan
    Jul 25, 2014 at 1:50 pm
    Well, poor Sania should not cry . Our country is not only cruel to all the vulnerable people, its cruel to its minorities and particularly to its women. She should also know that this great country of ours is in the grip of an acid re-flux from its 'glorious' past right now. Its present is however so ugly that its needs to regress into its past. No other country with any self respect will have the kind of political leaders we have, democratically chosen that too. Ignore these 'heroes and winners' of our democracy, they talk nonsense!
  4. B
    BN Anand
    Jul 25, 2014 at 1:25 pm
    It is simply because you happened to marry a stani national. Before that there was no problem. But after your marriage your credibility or for that matter loyalty has become suspect. There would not have been any problem if stan and India had been neighbours just like in Europe. But because of many wars and terrorism from across the border, any one remotely related with stan becomes suspect. So please bear with the situation as it is of your own choosing.
  5. I
    Indian
    Jul 27, 2014 at 7:15 am
    Better to decline the Offer & the Money gracefully than cry on national TV. Errrr no? Too difficult to say no to money? Or you cried for the fear of losing the endort money?
  6. I
    IndiannotAmused
    Jul 27, 2014 at 6:05 am
    All your moaning and b.....g will be deemed justified as soon as you point out the name of ONE hindu OR christian OR jew icon celebrated across the border in the neighbouring "peace-loving" country.Oh wait......for that matter,in ANY of the "peace-loving countries" of the middle-east.
  7. I
    IndiannotAmused
    Jul 27, 2014 at 6:08 am
    Nicely put....she is much more connected to the UMMAH than to any Indian roots.....maybe she is too "high" for India these days......her b ambadorship being the acceptance of a monetary incentive-a fat one and not a genuine act of patriotism.
  8. I
    IndiannotAmused
    Jul 27, 2014 at 6:00 am
    Very well said.....also this " Indian icon " has extensive links with Saudi Arab-links which need to be looked into.....Would have been much better to have Saina Nehwal....also an athlete,a female and from Telengana....guess she being Hindu did not fit the portrait of a "secular" government.Time to address and rectify these dangerous tendencies in Indian politics.....