Salman Khan’s father Salim backs Modi, says no Muslim will die in his regime

Salim Khan feels Muslims need to put behind the memories of 2002 Gujarat riots .

By: Press Trust of India | Mumbai | Updated: April 16, 2014 7:09 pm

Bollywood scriptwriter Salim Khan feels Muslims need to put behind the memories of 2002 Gujarat riots and move forward while insisting that the community finds itself safe in the country.

“When my mother died I felt I won’t be able to live but I am alive today, even my father died long back. Should I cry till now? No one can justify that (the riots). It should never happen. I am sure Mr Modi has learnt the lesson and that no one will die in his regime,” Salim, father of superstar Salman Khan, said.

“The Muslims find themselves safe in this country. They only need basic amenities, job, education, food,” he said.

Salim, who called himself a former Congress loyalist, however, said he was disappointed with the party.

“I was a Congress loyal…I used to vote for them. I am disappointed with them on certain issues. But even if today they have any good candidate then I will support them,” he said.

He also said it is not the party but people who are secular.

“No party is secular, people are secular. I am secular. In my family, there are people following different religions. For me all religions are one,” he said.

Salim, a Muslim, is married to Sushila, a Maharashtrian Hindu, and yester year Bollywood actress Helen, daughter of an Anglo Indian father and Burmese mother.

Khan said political parties had offered him tickets several times to contest elections but he was not interested.

“I have friends in BJP, Shiv Sena as well. I have been offered ticket to contest elections but I am not interested in this,” he said.

Salim’s eldest son superstar Salman Khan had visited Gujarat recently to promote his film ‘Jai Ho’ and met BJP’s prime ministerial aspirant Narendra Modi. The two appeared to have hit it off well as they appeared on national television flying kites after savouring a Gujarati lunch, but Salman had steered clear of publicly endorsing Modi as future PM.

Amit
    Mar 13, 2015 at 2:27 pm
    Except the bad ones i.e. rapists, criminals, terrorists, jihadist etc. Amzing to see how these people are cleverly trapping Modi into the pseudo-secular web.
    1. C
      CMVikram
      Apr 16, 2014 at 2:00 pm
      Salim Khan says 'nobody can justify the 2002 riots in Gujarat???' Really??? What about when a gang of 2000 fanatic Muslims burnt down four bogies of a train in which Hindu women and children were returning from pilgrimage? That is not a reason for the Hindus to fight back? What is wrong with all these Muslims? They think it is their right to kill Hindus and Hindus should not fight back
      1. G
        Guest
        Apr 17, 2014 at 4:19 am
        Justice needs to put this man behind in picture behind bars
        1. G
          Guru Datt
          Apr 17, 2014 at 2:20 am
          I agree with comments by mr. Salim
          1. I
            Iqbal Naiyer
            Apr 17, 2014 at 5:46 am
            Nothing will change, hatred and bigotry exist in all religion.
            1. G
              Global Indian
              Apr 17, 2014 at 3:44 pm
              Dude as much as the anger is justified, the murders of 1000's of innocents was not justified at all.What would have been justified is if people had helped nab the culprits who burned the train and people in it.1 person does the crime and 1000 innocents pay for it, how is that justified?Do you really think Criminals are afraid of mobs killing innocent people?Criminals are criminals they will perform the crime irrespective of the mob factor.Please think sane and stop harboring hatred for unreasonable logic.
              1. C
                Citizen
                Apr 16, 2014 at 5:07 pm
                I salute the real patriotic Indian Mr. Salim hope others would follow him. The parties/leaders are dividing the society for their own selfish survival reasons in the name of religion,region,caste etc instead of developing the nation/citizens to face the daily problems with their vision of investing tax payers money in proper way they are pocketing for themselves and landing in scams. Hope voters would select and elect clean guys in 2014. Jaihind
                1. V
                  Vidya
                  Apr 17, 2014 at 2:16 am
                  Thank you, Mr. Salim, for inaugurating the urdu website for Mr. Modi, and for giving confidence to people to vote for a good candidate.