Salman Khan verdict: For victims, compensation matters more than conviction

Salman Khan jail term will not fill my stomach, says one of the four men who injured in the hit-and-run in 2002.

By: Press Trust of India Written by Hamza Khan | Lucknow | Updated: May 7, 2015 8:00 am
salman khan jail, salman khan victims, salman khan bail “Compensation matters more than conviction, my health and work suffered,” a victim of the hit-and-run case said. (Source: Reuter File Photo)

The verdict against Salman Khan makes no difference to at least two of the four men injured in the hit-and-run in Bandra in 2002. The jail term to Salman “will not fill the stomach”, says one of them.

“The verdict doesn’t really affect us in any way,” Mohammad Kaleem, 35, tells The Indian Express from Sultanpur. “How do we benefit if he is sent to jail? I received Rs 1.5 lakh in compensation but it was spent on my treatment. We’re poor and the jail term won’t fill our stomachs.”

Related Article

In Mumbai, Abdullah Rauf Shaikh, another of the victims hailing from UP, echoes Kaleem. “What’s the point of getting the judgment after such a long time? I had to quit my previous job.” Rauf now still works at a bakery in Mumbai and received Rs 3 lakh as compensation, out of which, he says, he had to give Rs 1.2 lakh to his lawyer.

Kaleem says he still suffers the effects of the injury. “My back aches if I stretch it. I still have to take medicines when it becomes unbearable,” says Kaleem, who was under 23 when Salman’s vehicle hit him, fracturing a leg and injuring him in a hand and the back. “My livelihood was affected and I can’t earn anymore. My younger brothers take care of me now.”

Mohd Kaleem in Sultanpur. (Source: Express) Mohd Kaleem in Sultanpur. (Source: Express)

“Kaleem came home to recuperate. When he returned to Mumbai, his back continued to ache and he could not work. So he returned to Gonda for good and since then he has been staying at home, occasionally driving a taxi,” says his brother, Haleem.

“Kaleem used to support us when we were young, and now we are supporting him. We are also looking after his 12-year-old daughter Tayyaba Bano,” Haleem says.

Brothers Haleem, Kaleem and Mohammad Oleem stay in Sultanpur. A fourth, Mohammad Aleem, works at a bakery in Mumbai. “We are poor people, we’d rather earn money than fight a case.”

Mohammad Muslim, yet another victim hailing from Gonda, had fractured his thigh and after claiming he had seen Salman get down from the right side of the car, backtracked on his statement.

Abdul Shaikh,  36, whose right foot came under the vehicle’s wheels, skipped work at Mumbai’s Steaval Bakery Wednesday. His colleague Mohd Aziz says the cost of his treatment was taken care of “anonymously”.

“He can walk properly now. He still does not know who paid for his treatment,” Aziz says. Asked if Shaikh has ever spoken against the actor, Aziz says, “I do not remember him saying anything like that.”

With ENS in Mumbai

Arun Joshi
    May 6, 2015 at 4:59 pm
    If some one else had done the hit and run case against Salman Khan or his family, than what would the khan family had done to him that we can surmise. To sentence Salman for 5 years is a lesson for any citizen whether is highly influencing, powerful or a famous celebrity.
    1. I
      Indian
      May 6, 2015 at 7:20 pm
      The blood money concept should have been used in this case as is used in the gulf countries. If the victim bays for his blood then it is a different story but if he has no ill feelings then why not pay them the blood money so that their burden will become lighter. While jailing him is fine, has justice been served for those who suffered and will their lives become any better? That's the question which needs to be asked.
      1. G
        gubi
        May 6, 2015 at 2:17 pm
        Provide compensation also to victims and Jail term to Salman. Then only these rich will understand.
          dr suriya
          May 6, 2015 at 4:51 pm
          Dear brother salman just pray to ALLAHA he will give you strength to bear all this and very soon you will be thankful to him who give you chance of repentance,actually you are a number one human being but try to find seratal mustakeem (straight path) with out koofur. we all are with you.may ALLAHA forgive us all.
          1. J
            jack
            May 7, 2015 at 1:44 am
            instead of 5 years in jail, make him give 5 years income.
            1. N
              Nata Rajan
              May 9, 2015 at 12:29 am
              wrong arguments. whatever fine or compensation would not result in reduction of the duration of imprisonment. If what mr. Jack says is the logic and law, then all the rich can kill any number of poor and pay the kins and carry on their life merrily and kill more.
              1. N
                Nata Rajan
                May 9, 2015 at 12:30 am
                  pawan
                  Oct 9, 2015 at 10:14 pm
                  salman khan ko jail ho jayega fir wo to bail pe bahar aa jayenge ya jail me bhi rahenge to sari suvidha ke sath par un 5victim kya hoga unki life to burbad aur 13 sal se case chal raha hai agale 13 sal tak bhi koi dicision nahi ayega lekin un victim ki faimly kya hal hoga 13sal me kisi ko samjh nahi ati in my opinion every victim paid a reliable campansation and and overcome the previous life