A group of Shiv Sena workers barged inside the Mumbai Press Club next to Azad Maidan and disrupted a press conference called to announce the Indo-Pak line-up of the Mekaal Hasan band. The announcement, which was scheduled at 3 pm, was cut short when 20 Sainiks entered the Press Club premises with party flags and placards, protesting the presence of Pakistani members of the band.
The police said 17 men and three women, some posing as journalists, came to the Press Club, just before the media briefing started. They were, however, prevented from creating a ruckus by cops who rushed there. “They only shouted slogans before we took them away. Some of men showed ID cards claiming to be journalists while others barged in,” said Ravindra Shisve, Deputy Commissioner of Police, Zone I. All 20 workers have been arrested and charged under sections 441 (criminal assembly) and 141 (unlawful assembly) of the IPC.
The band is a unique concept with a mix of Pakistani (Mekaal Hasan, Ahsan Papu) and Indian musicians (Gino Banks, Sheldon D’Silva and Sharmistha Chatterjee), to promote harmony between the two nations.
Jatin Desai, a senior journalist who helped organise the interaction with the media, condemned the incident. “The Shiv Sena has no authority to determine who can and cannot speak in this country. We are a democracy, where freedom of speech is meant for everyone. Stern action should be taken,” he said.
Desai said the band will tour India, Pakistan and other countries. Hasan confirmed that the band is not scheduled to play at any concert in the city as of now, and the press conference was held solely for the announcement of the line-up. “I am confident that our shared cultural heritage and music will lead us towards a peaceful future,” Hasan said.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review