Sachin reacts to attack over absence from RS, says medical emergency kept him away

Members in Rajya Sabha had raked up Sachin's prolonged absence from House and demanded his participation in its business.

By: Press Trust of India | New Delhi | Updated: August 9, 2014 10:08 am
sachin-m “My elder brother Ajit had to undergo a bypass surgery and I had to be by his side”, he said, (Source: PTI)

Under attack over his absence from Rajya Sabha, Sachin Tendulkar on Friday said there was a medical emergency that kept him away from Delhi and that he did not mean disrespect to any institution.

“My absence in Delhi has been discussed rather too much. I don’t mean to disrespect any institution”, he said hours after members in Rajya Sabha raked up his prolonged absence from the House and demanded his participation in its business.

Speaking at a sports function in Vigyan Bhawan not far away from Parliament, he said when he was back from England he  wanted to be in Delhi.

“There was a medical emergency in my family, certain things I want to keep it private. But just to let you know, my elder brother Ajit had to undergo a bypass surgery and I had to be by his side”, he said, seeking to address criticism about his absence from Delhi and Parliament.

In a veiled reference to the raging discussion about him in Parliament and outside by media, he said ” They are discussing everything about you in the media but I think you should be focussed on your job and nothing else”.

He was addressing the medal winners of the Commonwealth Games at a function organised by the Sports Ministry.

“I feel happy about my presence in Delhi”, the batting legend said.

“My father once told me that there will be a lot of arms that will try to pull you down but as long as you stay in the right direction you will see that at one point of time you have gone beyond them. They will join hands to praise you” he said in his address to the athletes.

“Not always everyone will like you. There will be obstructions but the energy should always be focussed on doing the right things and not get distracted”, the batting icon said.

subhasis ghosh
    Aug 9, 2014 at 8:05 am
    Hmmm. I wonder which is worse; to be a parliamentarian and not attend the parliament or attend the parliament and be asleep there.
  2. B
    Babu Ram
    Aug 8, 2014 at 5:13 pm
    Icon? Idol? Legend? This brazen-faced liar expects us to believe he was by his brother’s side in London and other fancy places, and for the length of time since he was nominated by the Congress thugs!
  3. B
    Birender Bakshi
    Aug 8, 2014 at 4:16 pm
    Sachin Tandulkar,Your contention/excuse that you had to be on the bed side of your brother who was operated upon for heart related surgery does not hold good nor convincing.This is no reason to skip the w Rajya Subha session.Would you have skipped international cricket matches under the similiar cirstances?The answer is big NO.Lets be very clear,you were picked under special category to contribute some thing to the Rajya Subha related business.If you thought that you were too busy else where on this planet & unlikely to be fair to Parliamentry affairs,you should have declined this offer.As regards your brother's surgery which took hours & there after required un-interrupted/un-disturbed rest to recover,certainly did not warrant your presence all the time the Rajya Subha session was on.You therefore not done justice to this nomination.Please give it a thought.Bill.USA.
    Parappur
    Aug 9, 2014 at 3:05 am
    Don't give lame excuses. If you have any honor, resign and get out of town.
    Dennis
    Aug 9, 2014 at 5:52 am
    So can we now expect 100% attendance from Sachin Tendulkar in parliament since the famous surgery of his brother has now proved to be successful?
    SADHU-VEDANT-MUNI
    Aug 8, 2014 at 5:19 pm
    Sachin is may be right.due to MP he is known as a respectable person also. once appointed so must do but it is a privileged he is getting. he is not doing justice with RS. for his own interest he is moving here and there. if he has no time so kindly leave the post of MP and enjoy more.
  7. G
    Gundurao Nagesh
    Aug 9, 2014 at 6:03 am
    Wish Sachin makes his presence felt as he did in the field.Then it will be worth while.
  8. H
    H Shah
    Aug 8, 2014 at 3:36 pm
    By p operation does not take months and months of medical leave