A children’s talent hunt contest in New Delhi turned into a ruckus with one of the bouncers employed by the NGO organisers allegedly hitting a parent with a revolver.
The two-hour show ended in confusion with parents complaining of fraud when results were announced without even their children given an opportunity to perform.
Delhi-based NGO Diyadeep had selected children from seven cities including Gwalior,Kanpur,Kolkata and Delhi for the show India Li’l Prince & Princes for a fee ranging from Rs 10,000 to 20,000.
The trouble started when the results were announced,which according to some parents were fraudulent as many children did not get even the chance to perform in the finals here on Wednesday.
Then one of the bouncers deployed by the organisers allegedly hit one of the parents of a participant with the back of his revolver.
The other parents got angry and charged towards the show organiser and a scuffled ensued. The bouncers threw a protective arm around the woman organiser of the show and took her away from the scene. She never showed up again.
Madhu from Gwalior,who had come with her four-year- old son Aditya,said her child did not even go on stage and the organisers took Rs 20,000 from her.
How can they declare a winner without any competition, she asked.
First they took money for registration,then for enrolment and then for a photo shoot while promising that my child would appear in TV ads but they have not even provided us with the copy of the agreement, she claimed.
The organisers denied the allegations saying everything was made clear in the agreement copy that they had signed with the parents of participants.
We are not a funded organisation and we had already made it clear in the agreement that the parents have to bear all costs, said Yashi Shukla,project head of Diyadeep.
On parents not getting a copy of the agreement,she said,The agreement is ready with us and parents can get a copy of that. We are an established NGO since the past seven years. How can anyone accuse us of fraud?
The organisers claimed that the conflict happened because they had included new cities in the talent hunt while last year it was limited only to Delhi,Agra and Jaipur.
Bollywood actor Jimmy Shergill,the chief guest at the event,was also caught in between the confusion.
In a competition some win while some lose. In this case,the parents were probably disappointed as they were expecting something more. I think the need is to have professional judges in such events so that no one questions the decision, Shergill said.
He also advised that the organisers and the parents should sit together and solve the matter amicably.