Robert Vadra’s name dropped from no-frisking list at airports

The government on Wednesday removed the name of Robert Vadra, son-in-law of Congress president Sonia Gandhi, from the no-frisking list of the airports.

Written by Sharmistha Mukherjee | New Delhi | Updated: September 17, 2015 4:10 am
robert vadra Robert Vadra

The Ministry of Civil Aviation has removed Robert Vadra, the son-in-law of Congress president Sonia Gandhi, from the list of people who are exempted from security checks at airports across the country.

Civil Aviation Minister Ashok Gajapathi Raju approved the order revoking the no-frisking privilege to Vadra late Tuesday evening. The order will now be forwarded to the Bureau of Civil Aviation Security for implementation.

Earlier, at a media briefing Tuesday, Raju said, “It (removing Robert Vadra from the list) is happening. What’s so special about that guy that he should be treated specially? I don’t think there is anything special.” Earlier this month, Minister of State for Civil Aviation Mahesh Sharma had said that Vadra would not be removed from the list.

WATCH VIDEO

Vadra is on a list of 33 categories of people who are exempted from pre-flight security checks at civilian airports in the country. The privilege is available only when he travels with those who are given cover by the Special Protection Group (SPG), which includes Sonia, his wife Priyanka Gandhi and brother-in-law Rahul Gandhi.

Vadra has, in recent times, taken to social networking website Facebook to express his willingness to give up the privilege. In May 2014, Priyanka had reportedly written to the SPG demanding that the withdrawal of privileges be implemented immediately for her entire family. She also communicated her unhappiness over this issue being “politicised needlessly”.

During Tuesday’s briefing, Raju said, “It (removing Vadra from the list) is a non-issue but I wish he did (abrogate) when there was another type of government when he got those privileges. Had he any guts and what you call other things in him, that was the time to raise it.” In October last year, the Ministry of Civil Aviation had written to the Ministry of Home Affairs to carry out a threat perception check of the categories of exempted people and sought its views on pruning the list. The Home Ministry, in its reply in July this year, approved removing Vadra’s name from the list.

 

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App

  1. R
    Ram Yadav
    Sep 16, 2015 at 4:41 pm
    This criminal of looter must be behind the bars not from the airports this joker should be booked under many cases, family of looters who looted our country more than 60 years currently frustrated for NOT having power soon you will get the taste of TIHAR JAIL wait and watch looter
    (0)(0)
    Reply
    1. S
      Shall
      Sep 16, 2015 at 4:48 pm
      :) This newspaper sounds like the mouthpiece of Congress.. Just two days ago it was trying to put blame on BJP for not removing Vadra's special privelege even though the poor guy is asking for it. Why are these pressutes not asking a simple question - what was the need for this access in first place.. It could only be for illegal reasons.
      (0)(0)
      Reply
      1. V
        vikas
        Sep 16, 2015 at 10:45 pm
        I think this is right dicision by government
        (0)(0)
        Reply
        1. अण्णाजी
          Sep 16, 2015 at 5:21 pm
          haha.. well he was happy to be inducted in that list for so long. He is happy to be thrown out of it. Such mental stability.. anyway welcome to mango men of Banana republic ..!
          (0)(0)
          Reply
          1. A
            avi
            Sep 17, 2015 at 4:33 am
            Robber Vadra, the Dynasty has misused more than enough privileges, you jumped on the band wagon to do the same ! Now it's like "Sour Grapes" ???
            (0)(0)
            Reply
            1. Load More Comments