RJD chief Lalu Prasad, who called emergency meeting of 21 party MLAs Tuesday, remained undecided on supporting two JD(U) candidates in the Rajya Sabha bypolls, due on June 19. According to the party’s official line, the MLAs authorised Lalu to take the final call on former CM Nitish Kumar’s request to support JD(U) candidates Pawan Verma and Ghulam Rasool Baliyawi against Independent challengers Anil Sharma and Sabir Ali respectively. RJD MLAs would hold another meeting Wednesday.
The JD(U) top brass, which also called meeting of 117 MLAs, continued to face defiance from over a dozen dissidents who skipped Tuesday’s gathering. Some who skipped the meeting claimed even those who attended were on their side and had gone there to know about Nitish’s strategy. The JD(U) needs support from the RJD MLAs to avoid embarrassment in the bypolls.
A senior RJD leader said the party MLAs were divided over supporting Nitish who, they feel, “recently engineered a split in the party and made three RJD rebels ministers”. Some MLAs reportedly told the RJD chief that when Nitish had not missed any opportunity to destabilise their party, Lalu “should not be emotionally blackmailed just for the sake of opposing the BJP”.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
However, others in the RJD camp suggested Lalu respond to Nitish’s overtures to serve “larger political interest”.