RJD MP Taslimuddin on Tuesday created a flutter within his party by saying that even the BJP would get Muslim votes in the Seemanchal region of Araria, Purnia, Katihar and Kishanganj with 24 assembly seats. The RJD later disowned the MP’s statement calling it “unwarranted before such an important election”.
Taslimuddin said in Delhi: “The BJP stands a good chance in some Seemanchal seats like Amur and Baisi and might get some Muslim votes as well.”
The former Union minister said the NCP and the Samajwadi Party’s exit from the grand alliance and the likelihood of Asaduddin Owaisi’s party contesting from this region might affect the grand alliance’s chances. Taslimuddin, the Araria MP, is an important Muslim leader in Seemanchal with clout in the region.
- Bihar Congress leaders spar over Lok Sabha bypoll seat
- Notes of discord emerge from faction-ridden, says Bihar Congress
- Voice of Seemanchal Mohammed Taslimuddin dies at 74
- Veteran RJD leader Mohammad Taslimuddin passes away
- Bihar polls final phase: Grand alliance looks hopefully at M-Y today; Owaisi, Pappu too come into play
- Asaduddin Owaisi's Kishanganj rally makes JD(U), RJD and Congress nervous
RJD national spokesperson Manoj Jha told The Indian Express: “Taslimuddin sahib is a very senior leader and should know the importance of this election. He should not issue such damaging statements. The party disowns his views.”