RJD MP Taslimuddin on Tuesday created a flutter within his party by saying that even the BJP would get Muslim votes in the Seemanchal region of Araria, Purnia, Katihar and Kishanganj with 24 assembly seats. The RJD later disowned the MP’s statement calling it “unwarranted before such an important election”.
Taslimuddin said in Delhi: “The BJP stands a good chance in some Seemanchal seats like Amur and Baisi and might get some Muslim votes as well.”
The former Union minister said the NCP and the Samajwadi Party’s exit from the grand alliance and the likelihood of Asaduddin Owaisi’s party contesting from this region might affect the grand alliance’s chances. Taslimuddin, the Araria MP, is an important Muslim leader in Seemanchal with clout in the region.
- RJD win will make Araria a haven for terrorists: Giriraj Singh
- Araria will be ISI den if RJD wins: Bihar BJP chief Nityanand Rai
- Bihar bypolls: Over 55% turnout recorded in Araria
- Bihar bye-elections: BJP banks on Nitish Kumar, RJD on social tie-ups
- Araria bypoll: NDA vote arithmetic faces off with RJD caste formula
- With Nitish Kumar and after Rajasthan loss, NDA faces bypoll test in Bihar
RJD national spokesperson Manoj Jha told The Indian Express: “Taslimuddin sahib is a very senior leader and should know the importance of this election. He should not issue such damaging statements. The party disowns his views.”