Within days of his own party leaders pointing an accusing finger at him, Madhya Pradesh Governor Ramnaresh Yadav Tuesday said he was ready to be hanged if his guilt was established in the MPPEB scam.
“An attempt to assassinate my character is on. If allegations leveled against me are proved right, why only step down from my post, I am ready to be hanged,” said an Yadav on his 87th birthday, breaking his silence for the first time after his name was dragged into the scam. He was also accused of favouritism in appointment of vice-chancellors.
Yadav, who was appointed as Governor by the UPA government in September 2011, said he had sacked his OSD Dhanraj Yadav the moment he came to know of his alleged involvement in the scam. “He is neither my relative nor associated with me in any way,” he said in a statement.
The allegation that the Governor was involved in the scam surfaced on the eve of President Pranab Mukherjee’s two-day visit to the state. However, what embarrassed the former UP CM was that the suggestion that he be punished came from former Leader of Opposition Ajay Singh.
Singh had also accused Yadav of being hand-in-glove with the BJP government, saying he did not intervene when the Congress party’s no-confidence motion in the assembly was scuttled last year when he was the Leader of Opposition. Few more Congress leaders seconded Singh’s allegation saying he should have quit after his OSD’s name surfaced.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
While the BJP kept quiet its student body ABVP took to the streets demanding that Yadav be booked for his role.
Yadav broke his silence after garlanding a portrait of Mahatma Gandhi in the old Vidhan Sabha building. He said he had spent six decades in public life and held several positions but has never been accused of any wrongdoing.
“The Governor or the Raj Bhavan did not recommend any names nor called any officer and gave expensive gifts,” read the statement while refuting the news reports to that effect.