Cricket icon Sachin Tendulkar and Bollywood star Rekha on Friday came under severe criticism from fellow MPs in Rajya Sabha for attending the House for only three and seven days, respectively, since their nomination two years back.
CPM’s P Rajeeve raised the issue of long absence of the two celebrity MPs as he wanted to know if they had sought permission.
Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha P J Kurien, in response, said that while Rajeeve and some other members had raised the issue earlier, there was no violation.
“As per Article 104 of the Constitution, if a member is absent from either House of Parliament for a period of 60 days then the seat is considered vacant. In case of Sachin Tendulkar, he has not attended the Parliament for 40 days whereas Rekha’s absence is less than this,” he observed.
Kurien said Tendulkar was nominated to the Upper House in April 2012 and has attended the session for three days. “Last time he had come to the House on December 13, 2013,” he said. About Rekha, he said she had joined in April 2012 and has attended the session for seven days. “Last time she attended the House on February 19, 2014.”
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More