Cricket icon Sachin Tendulkar and Bollywood star Rekha on Friday came under severe criticism from fellow MPs in Rajya Sabha for attending the House for only three and seven days, respectively, since their nomination two years back.
CPM’s P Rajeeve raised the issue of long absence of the two celebrity MPs as he wanted to know if they had sought permission.
Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha P J Kurien, in response, said that while Rajeeve and some other members had raised the issue earlier, there was no violation.
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
“As per Article 104 of the Constitution, if a member is absent from either House of Parliament for a period of 60 days then the seat is considered vacant. In case of Sachin Tendulkar, he has not attended the Parliament for 40 days whereas Rekha’s absence is less than this,” he observed.
Kurien said Tendulkar was nominated to the Upper House in April 2012 and has attended the session for three days. “Last time he had come to the House on December 13, 2013,” he said. About Rekha, he said she had joined in April 2012 and has attended the session for seven days. “Last time she attended the House on February 19, 2014.”