Former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi was today remembered on his 23rd death anniversary with several leaders paying homage at his memorial here.
President Pranab Mukherjee, Vice President Hamid Ansari, outgoing Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and the late leader’s wife and Congress President Sonia Gandhi offered flowers at his memorial ‘Vir Bhumi’ here.
Sonia was accompanied by son and Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, daughter Priyanka Gandhi and son-in-law Robert Vadra, who arrived together to pay homage around 6.20 AM.
‘Shanti Mantra’ was recited on the occasion as youths holding the Tricolour circumambulated the memorial. A number of young children also offered floral tributes at the memorial.
Former Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, Haryana CM Bhupinder Singh Hooda, former Finance Minister P Chidambaram, Congress MP Shashi Tharoor and outgoing Parliamentary Affairs and Urban Development Minister Kamal Nath, Delhi Pradesh Congress Committee (DPCC) president Arvinder Singh Lovely and Congress CLP leader Haroon Yusuf were among those who also paid tributes to the leader.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
Prime Minister-designate Narendra Modi also paid his tributes to Gandhi on Twitter. “My homage to former PM Shri Rajiv Gandhi on his death anniversary,” he said in a tweet.
Rajiv Gandhi, who was the sixth and youngest PM of India, was assassinated on May 21, 1991 at Sriperumbudur in Tamil Nadu during a poll campaign.