Sanjay Singh, Congress Lok Sabha member from Sultanpur in Uttar Pradesh, is set to enter Rajya Sabha from Assam after he filed his nomination papers here Tuesday.
There was speculation that the BJP was planning to field him from Amethi against Rahul Gandhi in the Lok Sabha polls.
Singh was accompanied by Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi and Assam PCC chief Bhubaneswar Kalita when he filed his papers.
The opposition AGP, BJP and AIUDF on the other hand fielded veteran journalist Haidar Hussain as its consensus candidate, with leaders of the three parties expressing confidence that their nominee would be able to win despite attempts by the Congress to indulge in horse-trading.
Singh, who had arrived in Guwahati Monday with his wife and former badminton champion Amita Singh, once elected from here would be the second “non-local” person in Rajya Sabha from Assam, the first being Prime Minister Manmohan Singh who has been holding a seat since 1991.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Digvijaya files nomination
BHOPAL: Congress general secretary Digvijaya Singh Tuesday filed his nomination papers from Madhya Pradesh putting an end to his
10-year self-imposed ‘exile’ from electoral politics. He was accompanied by his son Jaivardhan. Digvijaya said he agreed for RS nomination
as he wanted to devote maximum time to party organisation. PTI