With infighting in Haryana unit of the Congress reaching alarming proportions after the party’s drubbing in the Lok Sabha elections, Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi on Thursday stepped in to put the divided house in order ahead of the Assembly elections in the state.
Congress sources, however, said replacing Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda, the main demand of his detractors, was not on the cards as it would only worsen the factional feud in the state unit. Congress leaders Kumari Selja and Chaudhary Birender Singh, who have been at loggerheads with Hooda for long, have been arguing that Hooda must resign taking moral responsibility for the debacle. The Congress won only one of the 10 Lok Sabha seats in the state in the the recent polls.
Rahul held nearly an hour-long meeting with Hooda, Selja and Singh at his residence. Congress general secretary in charge of Haryana, Shakeel Ahmed, was also present at the meeting. Sources said Hooda’s style of functioning, dubbed authoritarian by his detractors, came in for criticism. Rahul asked all the leaders to air their views within the party forum and directed Hooda to accommodate everyone and face the Assembly polls unitedly.
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
- 24 Maoists Killed In Encounter In Odisha
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
Another major bone of contention is the appointment of observers after the dissolution of the district, block and PCC executive committees. Hooda’s opponents claim all 21 observers are known loyalists of the CM.