After forcing some governors to quit, the Narendra Modi government Friday sacked Lt Governor of Puducherry Virendra Kataria, in the first such action against political appointees of the UPA regime.
A late night announcement by Rashtrapati Bhavan said, “The President has directed that Shri Virendra Kataria, shall cease to hold the office of the Lieutenant Governor of Puducherry.”Lt Gen (retd) Ajay Kumar Singh, L-G of Andaman and Nicobar Islands, will discharge the functions of L-G of Puducherry, in addition to his own duties, until regular arrangements for this post are made, a Rashtrapati Bhavan press communique said.
Kataria, 81, former Punjab Congress president and former Rajya Sabha member, was appointed Puducherry L-G in July last year, replacing another former Congressman from the state Iqbal Singh, also a former RS MP.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
Friday’s decision comes in the midst of the government having initiated the process to finalise the list of BJP veterans to be appointed as governors to fill up vacancies in various Raj Bhavans.