Four months after it announced that an inquiry commission would probe the Gujarat government’s alleged illegal surveillance on a woman, the Centre has decided to leave the decision to the next government.
At a recent review meeting to discuss pending cases cleared by the UPA cabinet, the home ministry decided to take up the issue when the next cabinet meets.
“A number of pending projects and decisions were discussed at the meeting, including the one involving illegal surveillance on a woman architect from Gujarat. The home secretary decided to keep the matter in abeyance for the next cabinet,” confirmed a senior ministry official.
Sources also said no retired Judge has agreed to head the commission although several were approached. “While some rejected the offer, others said it would dent their image as it was not possible to prove the allegations… when there is no complainant,” said a senior official.
The Centre had announced an inquiry panel on December 26, 2013, following reports that the Gujarat government “snooped” on the woman, allegedly at the behest of Chief Minister Narendra Modi. The panel was supposed to submit its report within three months.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review