A local court has ruled that there is prima facie evidence of attempt to commit suicide against Manipur social activist Irom Sharmila Chanu. She has been on fast for the past 13 years to demand withdrawal of Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) from Manipur.
Chief Judicial Magistrate of Imphal East, A Noutuneshwori gave the ruling on Wednesday after an FIR was filed by Manipur Police.
Cross examination of the prosecution will begin from July 7. Speaking to reporters later at the court complex, Sharmila said that she was not trying to commit suicide but only demanding withdrawal of AFSPA from the state.
She said her demand was solely the withdrawal of AFSPA so that people could live without any fear in the state.
Sharmila launched her fast in November 2000 after ten persons were killed allegedly by Assam Rifles in an encounter with militants at Malom near Imphal airport.
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews