President Pranab Mukherjee has rejected the mercy petition of Yakub Abdul Razzak Memon, convicted in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case. Memon is the brother of Ibrahim Memon, better known as Tiger Memon, the alleged mastermind and main accused who is absconding.
Sources said the decision was taken by the President last week and communicated to the Maharashtra government, which will decide the execution date. Memon is currently lodged in the high-security ward of Nagpur jail.
“The President’s office sent a reply to the central government last week. We have received the reply,” confirmed a state government official.
In March last year, the Supreme Court had confirmed the death sentence awarded to Memon, holding him guilty of being the “driving spirit” behind the blasts which killed 257 people, while commuting the death sentence awarded to 10 others to life imprisonment till their death. Memon then moved a clemency petition before the President in October last year.
A chartered accountant by profession, Memon was arrested in 1994. Gangster Dawood Ibrahim is also an accused in the serial blasts case. The government had recommended rejection of Memon’s mercy petition on the ground that it was an act of terrorism and did not qualify for pardon.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Mukherjee has so far rejected 11 mercy petitions. There are four other mercy petitions pending with the President at present.