President Pranab Mukherjee will be arriving here on a two-day visit tomorrow during which he will attend a convocation at Jammu University, being held after a gap of seven years, and inaugurate facilities for pilgrims at Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine.
On his maiden visit to the winter capital of Jammu and Kashmir, the President will be chief guest tomorrow at the 14th convocation of Jammu University, where he will be addressing the students besides presenting Gold medals and Ph.D degrees to them.
The last convocation of the varsity was held on July 15, 2007, which was attended by the then Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
In total, 67 candidates who completed their Doctorates in the year 2013 in seven faculties shall be awarded Ph.D degrees and 68 candidates shall be awarded with the University Gold Medal and cash awards.
J-K Governor NN Vohra, Chancellor of the University, shall preside over the convocation where Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, who is also Pro-Chancellor of the varsity, will be the Guest of Honour.
The University will be organising a Special Convocation on September 16, at which the Ph.D degrees and Gold medals shall be awarded to candidates from the sessions 2006 to 2012.
The President will visit the Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine on Tuesday where he will inaugurate the ‘Shridhar Elevator’, a lift meant to carry mainly old and needy people from the main track straight to the Bhawan near the shrine.
The elevator bridges the gap of the final 127 steps to reach the shrine. It will be open to the general public from Wednesday.
The President will be taken in a battery car after ‘Darshan’ at the shrine to the newly constructed ‘Panchi Helipad’ near the Bhawan before his departure for Delhi on Tuesday.
Ahead of the VVIP visit, the Governor made a final review of the arrangements.