Ravishankar Prasad returns to Union Cabinet with a bag of experience

Ravishankar Prasad began his political career as a fiery student leader in Patna University under the leadership of Lalu Prasad.

By: Press Trust of India | New Delhi | Updated: May 26, 2014 7:48 pm
prasad-m Ravishankar Prasad

Ravishankar Prasad, one of the most articulate BJP leaders and a familiar face in TV debates, returns to the union cabinet with a bagful of experience having been in charge of various portfolios for four years under Atal Bihari Vajpayee government.

Ravishankar Prasad began his political career as a fiery student leader in Patna University under the leadership of Lalu Prasad, who was then its general secretary but it was natural for him to turn to BJP as his father Thakur Prasad, himself a prominent lawyer, was one of the founding members of Jan Sangh.

Born in an upper caste Kayastha family on August 30, 1954, Ravishankar did his graduation and obtained masters in Political Science and LLB degree from Patna University.

Ravishankar started off as a student leader in 1970s organising protests against Indira Gandhi’s government. He took an active part in 1974 JP movement and was jailed during the Emergency.

During his college days, he was Assistant General Secretary of Patna University Students Union with Lalu Prasad as the President.

Practising law at Patna High Court since 1980, he was designated senior advocate at Patna High Court in 1999 and senior advocate of the Supreme Court in 2000.

Prasad was the main lawyer who argued on a PIL against RJD chief Lalu Prasad in multi-crore rupee fodder scam case. He also represented BJP veteran L K Advani in hawala case. In 2010, Prasad was a lawyer in the longstanding Ayodhya title suit and appeared before the Allahabad High Court.

Prasad was made Union Minister of State for Coal and Mines in 2000 in Vajpayee ministry and was given additional charge as MOS of Law and Justice in July 2002. He was credited with speeding up the process of fast-track courts.

Later, as a minister of Information and Broadcasting in NDA rule, he began reforms in radio, television and animation sections. He is also credited with establising Goa as the permanent site for International Film Festival of India.

In BJP’s 10-year spell out of power since 2004, Ravishankar Prasad has been its prominent public face of the party, articulating its stand on key issues as its main spokesperson for many years.

He was elected for a third term in Rajya Sabha from Bihar in 2012.

Ravishankar Prasad’s sister Anuradha Prasad, a mediaperson, is married to Congress leader and former IPL Chairman Rajeev Shukla.

manoj kumar
    Jan 16, 2017 at 4:50 am
    Sir mai BSNL virar Palghar Maharashtra me wll phone Lena chahte hu par kai bar kosis karne par bhi mujhhe wll phone nahi mil Raha har bar Raha jata hai ki phone nahi hai Kya bsnl eak wll phone tak nahi de sakta kripya eak wll phone dilane ki kripa kare
    kanodia texturisers
    Feb 3, 2016 at 2:05 pm
    add-kanodia texturisers plot no-8,9, block no-238, karanj, dist-surat, state-gujrat pin-394110, contact no-9825100931.
    kanodia texturisers
    Feb 3, 2016 at 2:03 pm
    vodafone network problem before one month. already complane to vodafone but dont action this problem. we are user cvg plan 14 numbers
    Krishnan Chundharan Krishnan
    Mar 7, 2016 at 4:26 am
    Hon: Minister, I write this from Kannur, Kerala. I have a Land line connection--04972778760 with Broad Band Connection. Due to cable fault my phone was disconnected from 10-2-2015 to 3-3-2015 . For more than 3 weeks I was depending local internet Cafe. On line complaint was booked no reply. Written complaint was sent to SDO Valapattanam, Telephone Dist Manager, etc. My enquIre was to get a reply from the BSNL whether I am enled to get refund of excess amount remitted . Even from Coustomer Redressal Cell I got no reply. Answr to my complaint is readily available at the finger trip from Computer. Still, careless atude from govt. staff. I did forward a complaint to Nodal Officer also. The mail was returrned undelivered.........
    RAJASIMHA
    Nov 7, 2016 at 8:07 am
    GOOD DAY TO YOU HONBLE MINISTER MR.RAVISHANKAR PRASADlt;br/gt;I AM A SENIOR CITIZEN AND A CLOSE FRIEND OF MR.SHANKAR BJP CHENNAI RELIANCE IS TROUBLING ME TOO MUCH OF NO FAULT OF MINE I HAD A DATACARD WHICH WAS DISCONNECTED BY RELIANCE AS IT WAS CHANGED FROM 3g TO 4g BUT THEY ARE CONTINUING TO SEND BILLS FOR MONTHLY RENT PLEASE HELP ME I AM ALSO TAKING ACTION ON RELIANCElt;br/gt;RAJASIMHA / CHENNAI /09382282292/
  6. V
    VINOD GARG
    Aug 18, 2016 at 5:53 am
    I Have BSNL Connection in Bathinda (Punjab) No 2211764 with Internet Facilities the same was out of order from last fifteen days I am given complaint against the same but no body listen and the same has not clear. Few days ago I listen the bell and hope that the phone is in order what the same was dead. I given complaint again but no body clear the same. pl look into the matter and forward the same to Bathinda authorities.