Vinod, the Uber cab driver accused of molesting a woman passenger in Gurgaon, was detained by the Police.
The 40 year old driver is a resident of Delhi and lives there with his wife and daughter. He reportedly has a valid public service vehicle badge and commercial licence issued in Delhi.
The Gurgaon police on Monday evening received a complaint from the woman over an email, narrating the incident. “In the complaint, the woman has alleged that she took an Uber cab from Pacific Mall in Delhi to Suncity in Gurgaon during which the incident took place”, said Rajesh Kumar, ACP (crime).
- Delhi: 19-yr-old ‘gangraped’ inside car, 2 arrested
- Gurgaon woman alleges molestation in cab, forced to file robbery complaint
- Uber, Mahindra come together for electric vehicles push in Indian cities
- Uber cab driver arrested for molesting woman journalist travelling from Delhi to Noida
- Uber in spotlight again as woman accuses driver of molestation
- Uber cabs face nationwide ban; Ola, TaxiForSure face heat
The harassed woman further alleged that after she got off the cab around 10.40 pm, the accused driver forcibly kissed her hand, Kumar said. An FIR has been lodged at Sector 56 police station.
Confirming the incident in an email response, Uber general manager Gagan Bhatia said the accused driver’s services had been deactivated till investigations in the case were on. “Our team reached out to the rider via phone within a few minutes of receiving the feedback. Many members of the Uber team have spoken with the driver. Immediate action has already been taken with the driver-partner’s service deactivated while the matter is being investigated.”
He said that his company has confirmed that the driver does have a valid PSV badge and commercial licence issued by the Delhi authorities.