With the government pushing through the Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation (Amendment) Bill replacing an ordinance for the transfer of seven mandals in Telangana to Andhra Pradesh for the purpose of implementation of the Polavaram project despite stiff objection, the TRS on Friday said it will approach the court against the transfer.
The party also hit out at Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan, who did not allow a discussion on a statutory motion which had been moved by B Vinod Kumar of the TRS seeking disapproval of the Ordinance. The TRS objected to the Bill citing Article 3 of the Constitution, which it said stipulates that the views of the state have to be elicited before altering its boundaries.
Mahajan ruled that interpretation of the provisions of the Constitution is primarily the responsibility of the court of law. “We are deeply disappointed. If courts have to interpret, why are we in Parliament? If we can go to the court what is the point of coming to Parliament,” TRS MP and Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao’s daughter K Kavitha told The Indian Express.
She said the government bypassed the state Assembly and bulldozed the Bill in Parliament. “We will fight a legal battle now,” she said. “For altering the boundaries, the President has to elicit the views of the respective State Legislatures by sending the Bill to them. The government has not elicited the views of the State Legislatures of Telangana as well as the State of Andhra Pradesh,” she added.
The Congress steered clear of the controversy. “Andhra Pradesh is now a fact… There is no point expending energies on a deal done. It will much more productive to invest those energies in future growth and development of two new states. Any kind of recrimination or looking backwards is counter productive. We will exhort the governments in the two states to do that,” Congress spokesperson Abhishek Manu Singhvi said.
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swam Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched