A day after the spat between the BJP and former prime minister Manmohan Singh’s media adviser Pankaj Pachauri over the latter’s move to archive @PMOIndia Twitter handle, the new ruling party said it will get the problem “fixed”.
“They have not followed the best practice. They have gone ahead with the unethical practice of renaming the account, which has now gone dead and lost its followers,” said Arvind Gupta, convener of BJP’s information technology cell. He said they would now have to start from scratch once Narendra Modi takes over. “But we are not going to do that. We will get it fixed,” he said, without elaborating how they planned to take over control.
Going with its stated policy, Twitter refused to “comment on individual accounts.” However, it is reliably learnt that the social media platform has secured the account and will hand it over to the new dispensation. It is normal practice for Twitter to facilitate smooth transfer of institutional accounts when there is a change in the management. Both Twitter and Facebook, reset pages in case verified owners stake claim.
It is, however, interesting that the managers of @PMOIndia chose to remove all the tweets so far, especially since it is possible to download and save tweets and retweets in a searcheable archive format. This feature was introduced in late 2012. Pachauri said the tweets were removed for archival purposes as required under RTI Act.
After @PMOIndia was renamed as @PMOIndiaArchive, the original handle became a dead page and lost its verified status as well as half a million odd followers. However, the @PMO handle can get the followers back if the archive handle is renamed as @PMOIndia. Incidentally, the dead @PMOIndia account already has over 1,50,000 followers.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
While there is no doubt that the entire handover could have been handled better, we can also attribute the confusion to the fact that “this is the first time such a handover is taking place”.